Smart Countdown 3 module supports event import plugins. These plugins connect the module to popular event management components and services thus making site administrator's life much easier - she doesn't have to manually update event deadlines in module configuration each time a current event is in past. Event import plugins pull events from external applications to a sort of events queue (timeline) and switch module counter to the next event automatically.
However there are cases when a simple event recurrence can completely describe the desired bahavior of your countdown. Of course it is possible to implement a recurrence using an external application, e.g. JEvents and then connect it to the module via JEvents Bridge for Smart Countdown 3 plugin, but this method requires unnescesary effort - extra component installation and configuration, etc.
Recurring Events for Smart Countdown 3 plugin was designed for these cases. It doesn't depend on external applications and requires minimum configuration.
Recurring Events for Smart Countdown 3 plugin is not compatible with Smart Countdown 2.5
Purchase Recurring Events for Smart Countdown 3 - €3.99
As all other event import plugins it adds a new pane to Smart Countdown 3 module configuration view (see screenshot).
"Enabled Pattern(s)" setting allows you to disable the plugin ("None"), use one of the patterns or merge both patterns into a single timeline.
The screenshots below show configuration used in the sample above: merging patterns is especially useful for weekly events when workdays and weekends events have different start times/durations.
Weekends recurrence pattern.
Another sample - countdown to 12:00 (CET) last Sunday of each month:
Seven recurrence types are implemented:
- Hourly - event repeats several times during the day at a given interval starting from a given time. Supported intervals: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12 hours.
- Daily - event repeats every day on a given time.
- Weekly - event repeats one or more days of a week on a given time. Unchcking all days will disable the pattern, checking all days will have the same effect as daily pattern.
- Monthly - event repeats on the date selected every month on a given time. Feel free to select dates greater than 28. Although not all months will contain the date selected, the date will be implicitly converted to the last day of month in such cases. Selecting "31" as the date for monthly recurrence will result in event repeating on the last day of each month.
- Monthly by week and day - event repeats on a selected day of selected week, e.g. "first monday", "third monday", "last friday" etc. of each month.
- Yearly - event repeats on the date selected on a given time. Date selection already implements basic validation, i.e. you will not be able to select JUNE 31. However FEB 29 is available and will have the following meaning: repeat event every year, for leap years - on FEB 29, for the rest of years - on FEB 28 (selecting FEB 28 will result in a repeat on FEB 28 for all years).
- Custom dates - this is not an interval-based recurrence. Enter up to 10 event date-and-times and they will be converted into a timeline. The counter will switch to the next event after the current one is in past.
Event title (optional) - will be displayed along with the event text configured in "text" fields on module "Basic Settings" pane. You can choose whether to prepend or append the title to the generic text from basic settings. If "Show Title" is set to "No", only generic text will be displayed.
Event duration - all events for the given pattern will have the same duration. In counter "Auto" mode a count up from event start will be displayed during an event. Non-zero event duration is required for "Countdown to event end **" mode.
Custom dates sample
Custom dates recurrence type may be useful for quasi-recurring events, i.e. when events are in approximate intervals from each other but we can know exact events dates and times beforhand. A tipical case is illustrated in the sample below - Easter Sunday countdown. Just find Easter calendar on the internet and enter dates for the next several years into custom dates list and you are done.
Custom dates feature requires plugin update for compatibility with Joomla 3.8.x. Please, open a ticket if you purchased this plugin before SEP 1 2018 and we will send you updated version.
Installation and Configuration
Recurring Events plugin installation procedure is the same as for all other Joomla extensions - normally you will install it using "Extension manager". The plugin must be enabled after installation. Plugin itself doesn't require configuration, like all other event import plugins for Smart Countdown, it adds a new pane to Smart Countdown settings view - "Recurring Events". All options are then configured using controls on this pane. If you have more that one instance of Smart Countdown module, each instance can have individual import settings and/or enable/disable recurring events which will not affect other Smart Countdown instances.
New in version 1.5
Version 1.5 extends "Hourly" recurrence pattern with hour fraction options: 1/2 hour, 20 minutes, 1/4 hour. In the sample below 25-minutes sessions start every half an hour. If you purchased an earlier version of this plugin and are interested in hour fraction intervals, please, open a ticket and we will send you updated version.