You can add as many Smart Countdown 3 module instances as you like to your Joomla site. As with any other Joomla module just click "New" in Joomla Module manager and start with a new Smart Countdown module configuration. Configuration screen is organized in tabbed panes, some of them are common for all Joomla modules and are not described here. Refer to Joomla docs for details. The screenshots and instructions below are related to specific Smart Countdown options.
- Event Date and Time - if Smart Countdown is used as a stand-alone module it will show countdown / count up to / from selected date and time. If at least one event import plugin is active (enabled in module configuration), the value entered in this field will be ignored. Event import plugin will take control over events.
- Module Display - by default the module will be always visible and will show countdown to future event and count up from an event in past. You can change module display conditions choosing another option from "Module Display" drop-down. Please, keep in mind that settings other than "Show countdown and count up (auto)*" may automatically hide the module from display if selected option is not compatible with event date and time provided. Also if the module is connected to an external calendar via event import plugin, "auto" mode may hide the module if there are no current or future events in connected calendar. "Countdown to event end***" option has a special meaning and will have effect only if a compatible event import plugin is active - while event is in progress the counter in this mode will display time left until event end instead of the time the event is in progress for. "Countdown to end only during event **" option is similar to "Countdown to event end" but it displays the counter only while event is in progress.
Smart Countdown 3 supports independent event descriptions for countdown (event in future, e.g. "Our event starts in") and count up (event in past, e.g. "Our event is in progress for") modes. Also in order to provide more flexibility event descriptions are divided in two parts: one displayed before the counter block and the other - after the counter. You are free to enter text in any of the event text fields as it totally depends on your event logic and site natural language rules. You can leave any (or all) of these fields empty. If the module is connected to an external calendar enter "%imported%" (without quotes) anywhere in event description text - this placeholder will be replaced by event title imported by plugin.
- Text Before Counter (countdown mode) - text to show before the counter block in countdown mode
- Text After Counter (countdown mode) - text to show after the counter block in countdown mode
- Text Before Counter (count up mode) - text to show before the counter block in count up mode
- Text After Counter (count up mode) - text to show after the counter block in count up mode
"Deadline reached" message:
- Hide counter in count up mode - Smart countdown 3 can be configured so that it will not show counter ticking in count up mode. When event time arrives a special "Time has arrived!" kind of message can be displayed. Activate this option and use "Text before Counter" and "Text After Counter" for count up mode to configure the "deadline reached" message.
- Counter Units - choose time units the counter interval should be expressed in.
- Layout Preset - choose module layout. Default is "Auto" (fits in most cases). Read more about layout presets.
- Digits Animation - choose digits animation. Built-in animations are available right after installation. More animation profiles can be found here.
- Horizontally Center - center all module elements across template position.
- Text Before Size - event description (if any) displayed before the counter block font size.
- Text After Size - event description (if any) displayed after the counter block font size.
- Digits Size - counter digits size.
- Labels Size - counter labels font size.
- Units Horizontal Spacing - space between counter units ('days', 'hours', 'minutes', etc.) in horizontal (row) layout. Defines left and right margins around each counter unit.
- Units Vertical Spacing - space between counter units ('days', 'hours', 'minutes', etc.) in vertical (column) layout. Defines top and bottom marginsaround each counter unit.
- Preview - live module preview in a separate window. Modules which are unpublished or published to an non-existing position can also be opened in preview. Do not forget to save current module settings, only save settings will be reflected in preview.
Some of layout settings can be overridden. Overriding the first three settings will not behave exactly as a new layout preset because overridden values will have effect for full-width module display only (i.e. when responsive rules are not yet applied). All further layout transformations in response to template position width changes will be totally controlled by responsive rules listed in the currently selected layout preset. If none of built-in layout presets fit your needs you will have to create a custom one to get full control over the module layout on all screens.
Other settings (starting from "Labels Vertical Alignment") will have effect on all screens even after "responsive" behavior has been applied.
Starting from version 3.4.2 "Hide Highest Zeros" setting is renamed to "Hide Zeros" and now supports more options:
- Do not override - use setting from layout preset (default - Hide highest zeros)
- None - do not hide zero units
- Highest zeros only - hide highest zeros, the same way this option works in previous versions
- All zeros - new option, it will hide all units with zero values (seconds are not affected)
The module can be associated with a Joomla menu item or a custom web page. Two actions are supported: open the selected page on click (the entire module behaves as a link) or automatically redirect when counter interval reaches zero (event time arrives). Event import plugins provide their own redirection URLs and will override module settings.
- Redirect on click - select when the page selected in the options below will open if a user clicks on the module. "Disabled" - disable this feature.
- Confirm redirect - ask user confirmation before leaving the page if there are forms on page and some values are already entered in form fields. Activate this option to protect users from losing there input, especially if "redirect on countdown zero" is enabled and the page can be accidentally refreshed without sending form data.
- Menu Item - choose Joomla menu item. Check that menu item selected is published and has a compatible access level, otherwise "Page not found" errors may occur.
- Absolute URL - enter absolute URL to redirect to. May be a page outside your Joomla installation. If not empty this setting will override menu item.
Conflicting or ambiguous redirect URLs
The module can show a countdown to more than one event at a time. This happens if there are one or more event import plugins enabled and if resulting events timeline contains events with the same start time (see JEvents Bridge sample 1). Each imported event defines its own redirect URL but if two or more simultaneous events are displayed, automatic redirection will use the URL of the first event in list (the same will happen on counter click if "counter clickable" option is active). Please, keep in mind that if an event import plugin also offers "link title" feature each event title will be linked to its own URL (usually a detailed event view in native application's interface) and will behave as expected. The "first simultaneous event wins" rule applies to redirection on countdown zero and counter clicks only.
You can set additional CSS rules to be applied to different module elements. A basic CSS knowledge is required to manage these settings. If more than one rule has to be defined for an element, separate them with ";". Not all CSS rules will have effect for all elements, some may break module layout. Use these options with caution, do not hesitate to ask if you are not sure.